Thursday, September 3, 2009

Camping Trip

Isn't this camper just nifty? I wish I could claim it as my very own, but sadly,...sigh... it is not mine.


I love a camping trip as much as the next American. We, as a nation, have been camping for recreation as early as the 1920's. However, it wasn't until interstate highways developed that visits to some of nature's most splendid retreats, such as Yosemite's National Park, became common in the 1930's and 40's. Unfortunately, camping dwindled with the on-set of World War II. But soon after in the 1950's, people started traveling again, and privately owned campgrounds and state park camp sites began popping up everywhere. Camping, as we know it today, had evolved.

Labor Day is quickly approaching, and like the typical American family that we are, you will find us at one of the many over-crowded campsites across our great nation this weekend; enjoying the great outdoors just like our grandparents did half a century ago..... OK, well maybe not exactly (lol)... I'm pretty sure grandma and grandpa's camper didn't contain a microwave and TV for those late night DVD movies with buttery popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment